Welcome to my blog, make sure you leave comments!

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

While My Guitar Gently Weeps...

Actually, my guitar screams and cries like a two year old throwing a tantrum, and this is not the desired result... It looks so easy when the instructor is playing it, why does it sound like crap when I play it? Ok, maybe it is because I do not have one ounce of musical ability in my entire body. My mother told me a while ago that the music teacher back in elementary school told her that none of us (me, my brother, and my sister) had any pitch. Are you supposed to have pitch when you are seven years old? So I will never be a singer, big deal, lead guitar is where it's at... Or maybe rhythm guitar... Banjo? Ukelele?

Anyway, music is something I love, always have, always will, I listen to a lot of different kinds of music and I have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I started a number of years ago and, like many people, I just messed around with it a bit, found that it was really hard, and then gave up... This time I hope it is different. I am on my second set of lessons, I am going in 7 or 8 week sets, one 30 minute lesson a week. I guess I have improved a little bit, but I still have a long long long way to go...

Any advice? How about a book or a DVD? Maybe a pill or some magic potion? A brain transplant?? Make me a Rock Star! ;-)


4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I thought I was the only one with a pitch problem.

4:51 AM

 
Blogger MaxedOutMama said...

Same problem, same result, which might account for me bursting into laughter when I read the first sentence of your post!

Er - you can't be as bad as I am. There must be hope. Having never succeeded, I have no helpful tips and can only offer understanding!

3:10 AM

 
Blogger Jeannette said...

Maybe you are like me: Tone Deaf.

I cannot sing, nor can I manage on any instrument that takes an ear for pitch to play (ie, Guitar, Keyboards, Piano, etc).

I played the flute in highschool, but playing music that you can read off of a sheet of paper, and following map is alot different than any instrument that requires intent listening to pick up.

I am hopeless. My boyfriend is an amazing guitar player, and it kills me. I want to be a rock star so bad, I know how you feel. My boyfriend jokes and tells me, "if Yoko Ono could be a famous musician, so can you". Ha.

3:20 AM

 
Blogger Angela said...

I know just how your feel. My guitar has been banished to the basement so I don't keep looking at it, wondering why I still, after 3 years, cannot play this instrument. I can play the piano and the violin, but I just can't master this guitar.

12:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home