Welcome to my blog, make sure you leave comments!

Monday, March 21, 2005

Why U2 are so good...

So I am sure I will be posting and posting on the subject of one of the greatest bands of all time, U2, for the next 8 months, so get used to it ;-)

The following transcript from their Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction is just one of the reasons why they are so great. Thanks again to Jillian, for pointing this out. What would I do without Jillian?

The third Kodak moment sums it all up, IMHO:

[...]
I'm going to go on and list three Kodak moments over twenty-five years I'd like to share with you. One - it's 1976 - Larry Mullen's kitchen. About the size of the drum riser he uses now. It's a bright red -- scarlet, really -- Japanese kit and he's sitting behind it in his kitchen. And he's playing and the ground shakes and the sky opens up -- and it still does, but now I know why. Cause Larry Mullen can't tell a lie. His brutal honesty is something that we need in this band.

Second Kodak moment. It is 1982. New Haven, I believe. Things are not going very well. There's a punk band onstage trying to play Bach. A fight breaks out. It's between the band. It's very very messy. Now you look at this guitar genius, you look at this Zen-like master that is the Edge, and you hear those brittle icy notes and you might be forgiven for forgetting that you cannot play like that unless you have a rage inside you. In fact, I had forgotten that on that particular night, and he tried to break my nose. And I learned a great, great lesson that night. You do not pick a fight with someone who for a living lives off hand-eye coordination. Dangerous, dangerous man, the Edge.

Third Kodak moment. 1987. Somewhere in the south. We'd been campaigning for Dr. King, for his birthday to become a national holiday. In Arizona, they are saying no. We're campaigning very hard for Dr. King. Some people don't like it. Some people get very annoyed. Some people want to kill us.
Some people are taken very seriously by the FBI. They tell the singer that he shouldn't play the gig because tonight his life is at risk, and he must not go on stage. And the singer laughs. Of course we're playing the gig. Of course we go onstage, and I'm singing "Pride (In the Name of Love)" -- the third verse -- and I close my eyes. And you know, I'm excited about meeting my maker, but maybe not tonight. I don't really want to meet my maker tonight. I close my eyes and when I look up I see Adam Clayton standing in front of me, holding his bass as only Adam Clayton can hold his bass. There are people in this room who'd tell you they'd take a bullet for you, but Adam Clayton would have taken a bullet for me. I guess that's what its like to be in a truly great rock and roll band. [...]


3 Comments:

Blogger Fernegulley said...

Hey Peter,

Are you there for the 26th?

If so, see you there. I got some tickets too. So, Allan and I will be there.

Now all we have to do is work on Troy :}:}:}

Lana

11:24 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Yup, the 26th it is... I am sure we will have no problem finding you among the 20,000 or so that are there ;-)

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Ha! That is excellent Troy... Excellent...

7:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home